Archive from ARSA (Advanced Research in Scientific Areas) conferences provides interface for online access to all publications presented in ARSA.
ARSA - Proceedings in ARSA - Advanced Research in Scientific Areas (Proceedings detailed information)
Volume: 1, December 2012
Publisher: EDIS - Publishing Institution of the University of Zilina
Powered by: Thomson Ltd, Slovakia
table of contents | Proceedings home | archive
A WEB-GIS platform for water resource management
[plain text] |
[MS Academic search]
Water is strategic but also highly vulnerable natural resource, this because the increasing demand from multiple uses, in many cases competing amongst them, seems to influence the concepts of sustainability of the exploitation. In this context, many are the mathematical models known in bibliography and the approach of the proposed model is focused towards a natural integration of the two processes of evaluation and management of the available water resource, in an operating context that is shared amongst managers, users and the local administration concerned. From the operational point of view, the WRME project (Water Resources Management and Evaluation) is an integrated Decision Support System (DSS) that is not only a platform to exchange information and assessments, but is a tool for conflict resolution, in the management of water resources, and consensus reaching among all participants in the decisional processes. So the “top-down” approach has been replaced with a “bottom-up” approach where all stakeholders become decision makers themselves. Innovations do not only concern the philosophical aspects of management, but also technological aspects. In fact, for the development of this integrated tool a considerable effort in adapting existing technologies and developing new capabilities has been required, especially in the integration of modeling engines in a single GIS platform available on the WEB.
water resource, Decision Support System, WebGIS.,
-  L’VOVICH, M.I. L’Vovich, “Hydrologic budget of continents and estimate of the balance of global fresh water resources”, Soviet Hydrology, N. 4, 1972, pp. 349-360
-  R. M. Vogel and N. M. Fennessy, “Flow duration curve II: a review of application in water resources planning”, Water Resources Bulletin, American Water Resources Association, vol. 31, N. 6, 1995, pp. 1029–1039.
-  V. U. Smakhtin, “Low flow hydrology: a review”, Journal of Hydrology, 240, 2001, pp. 147–186.
-  K.P. Singh, I.B. Stall, “Hydrology of 7-day 10-yr low flow”, Journal of the Hydraulic Division, ASCE, vol. 100, HY12, 1974, pp.1753-1771.
-  M. Neteler, H. Mitasova, “Open source GIS: a GRASS GIS approach”, secon edition, Springer, 2008.
-  WMO, “Manual on Low-flow Estimation and Prediction ”, Operational Hydrology report N. 50, 2008.
-  Institute of Hydrology, “Low flow studies”, Wallingford UK, 1980.
-  A. Gustard, A. Bullock . J.M. Dixon, “Low flow estimation in the United Kingdom”, Institute of Hydrology, Wallingford, report N. 108, 1992.
-  M.H. Ehlke, L.A. Reed, “Comparison of methodsfor computing streamflow statistics for Pennsylvania stream”, water resources-investigations report 99-4068, U.S. Department of Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, 1999.
-  L.F. Heitz, S. Khosrowpanah, “Prediction of fllow duration curve for use in hydropower analysis at ungauged sites in Pohnpei, FSM”, WERI, University of Guam, report 129, 2010.
-  A. Castellarin, G. Galeati, L. Brandimarte, A. Montanari, A. Brath, “Regional flow-duration curve: reliability for ungauged basin”, Advances in Water Resources, 27, 2004, pp. 953-965.
-  P. Manciola P., S. Casadei, "7-Day 10-Yr low flow relationships for ungauged sites in Central Italy", Irrigation & Drainage Sessions at Water Forum '92, American Society of Civil Engineering -ASCE-, Baltimora, 1992, pp. 250-256.
-  P. Manciola, S. Casadei, “Mathematical modelling for hydrological regionalization in watershed planning”, IASTED International Conference Modelling and Simulation, Philadelphia USA, 1999, pp. 288-292.
-  P. Manciola and S. Casadei, “Low flow index and hydrogeological characteristics”, Hydraulic Engineering, EE,IR,WW Div/ASCE, Nashville,TN,1991, pp 930-936.
-  M. Bellezza, S. Casadei, L. Casagrande, A. Pierleoni, “Water Resource Management and Evaluation” , http://hydrogate.unipg.it/wrme/ .